Head Start Cook – Newport, WA
DIVISION: Early Childhood Education
REPORTS TO: Nutrition Specialist
DATE OPEN: 08/01/2022
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
40 hours per week, starting wage range of $17.10-$18.50 per hour DOE.
Purchases and prepares snack, breakfast and lunch food for preschoolers from menus that meet Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) requirements.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares breakfast, lunch and snack for up to 44 people per meal.
- Cooks meals according to nutritional needs and MPRs.
- Shops for food and meal supplies, including paper supplies for the kitchen and center.
- Oversees compliance of food safety practices.
- Assists teachers with serving the meals assuring food is well prepared, appetizing and individualized according to special needs.
- Keeps records, revises menus as needed and provides nutrition budget report.
- Cleans up kitchen after meals and cleans using the Daily Cleaning Schedule and Indoor Maintenance Check-Off list according to assigned duties.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic nutrition.
- Ability to organize and oversee an assigned project.
- Ability to complete and monitor paperwork and reports with emphasis on detail.
- Ability to work with limited amount of supervision.
- Ability to work with children in a patient and friendly manner.
- Knowledge of proper food storage and food safety practices.
- Ability to prepare meals for a large group including substitute items for special needs.
- Knowledge and ability to maintain accurate records.
- Knowledge of CACFP Requirements.
- Knowledge of basic mathematic principles.
- Basic knowledge of child development.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and positively with staff and children.
Required Education or Experience
High School Diploma or GED and one year experience cooking for groups
Any combination of education and experience, which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability, required to perform the job.
Required Certifications & Licenses
Preferred Certifications & Licenses
- Access to reliable transportation
- Valid driver’s license in state of residence
- Auto insurance in the amount required by the State of Washington
- Food Worker’s card or be able to acquire within 14 days of employment
- Physical examination within three weeks of employment
- Acceptable completion of a criminal history background check
TB test and proof of test results to employer prior to the start of employment. New employees do not need a TB skin test if they have written proof of one of the following:
- A negative Mantoux TB test in the twelve months prior to hire; or
- a previously positive Mantoux TB test with documented proof of treatment; or
- a recent negative chest X ray and a statement from a health care provider that employee does not pose a health risk to others; or
- Medication therapy to treat TB.
Documentation of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) immunization:
- An immunization record indicating that you have received at least one dose of MMR vaccination (Immunization record card is acceptable only with doctor’s signature/initials or stamp). Or
- Lab evidence of immunity to measles disease (also known as a blood test or titer). Or
- Documentation from a health care provider that the person has had measles disease sufficient to provide immunity against measles. Or
- Written certification signed by a health care practitioner, licensed in Washington State— a medical doctor (MD), naturopathic doctor (ND), osteopathic doctor (DO), advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) or a physician’s assistant (PA)—that the Measles, Mumps, & Rubella vaccine is, in the practitioner’s judgment, not advisable for you.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to handle and control various kitchen tools and equipment and telephone. May include repeating the same movements.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to operate various kitchen tools and equipment.
- Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to lift 45 pounds.
- Regular, predictable attendance is required.
The work environment characteristics described are what is encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Moderate noise (i.e. classroom setting with children, kitchen equipment)
- Ability to work in a confined area.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Rural Resources Community Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.