Head Start Substitute Classroom Aides- Chewelah, Colville, Kettle Falls, Newport
DIVISION: Early Childhood Education
LOCATION: Chewelah, Colville, Kettle Falls, and Newport
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
DATE OPEN: 09/15/2020
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
2-20 hours per week, September to June $13.50 per hour, DOE
Works under close supervision of teaching staff to assist in conducting the activities of a Head Start preschool program. This includes providing a safe and healthy classroom environment providing a quality social and academic experience for children. Sets up the classroom meals.
May also be required to fulfill role of Bus Monitor which includes additional duties. Assists the bus driver in providing safe and punctual transportation for children to and from the centers to promote the well being of all children. Monitors the safety of the children on the bus. Ensures that children are transported in a healthy and educational environment and facilitate communication with staff and parents regarding the children’s needs and center activities.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
Assists teachers in implementing daily classroom activities and active supervision, both inside the classroom and during outside time.
∗ Assists in physical preparation of classroom, moving furniture, rugs, classroom materials, set-up of bulletin boards and displays, etc.
∗ Housekeeping, cleaning and maintenance duties, which may include: laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, dusting, disinfecting sinks and bathrooms, sanitizing tables and classroom materials; deep cleaning of classrooms, kitchens and storage areas; outside playground maintenance, clean up and organization, etc.
∗ Engages with groups of children during classroom activities, using developmentally appropriate communication and following child guidance policies and procedures, both inside the classroom and during outside time.
∗ Assists with preparation of materials, organizing materials before and after activities, and enduring proper storage of materials.
∗ Assists teacher in addressing children’s individual needs by providing individualized attention for children, as assigned.
∗ Maintains confidentiality in accordance with program policies and procedures.
∗ Assists in the preparation and cleanup of classroom meals. This may include shopping and transporting of food, food preparation, serving, clean up and meal and kitchen paperwork.
∗ Assists with supervision of children for on-site childcare provided during parent events/meetings and Policy Council meetings.
∗ Performs other related tasks as assigned.
∗ Works as a team with the bus driver in transporting children safely to and from the center.
∗ Helps keep assigned vehicle clean inside.
∗ Maintains a safe, secure, and pleasant atmosphere on the bus when transporting children.
∗ Assists the bus driver in evacuation drills.
∗ Helps secure children properly in restraint system.
∗ Assists children in boarding and exiting the bus.
∗ Attends designated trainings (Bus Monitor, Child Abuse and Neglect, etc.).
∗ Reports any unusual behavior of child or parent to supervisor.
∗ Assists driver with authorization to release paperwork, as needed and assuring that only those authorized are allowed to receive children.
∗ Helps with evacuation and assists in the event of an emergency.
• Ensures the safe storage and transporting of child items.
• Assists in informing parents/guardians, staff and other necessary individuals of transportation information, as requested.
∗ Responsible for behavior of children on the bus with particular attention to safety and setting limits.
• Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Knowledge Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to interact with preschool children in a supportive, positive manner.
• Demonstrated positive communication skills with children and adults.
• Demonstrated basic understanding of young children.
• Ability to supervise children during the bus route.
• Ability to use a positive approach in directing and guiding children.
Required Education or Experience
High School Diploma or GED.
One year experience with preschool or elementary school age children.
Required Certifications & Licenses
Preferred Certifications & Licenses
Physical examination within three weeks of hire at the employee’s expense.
• Acceptable completion of criminal history check.
• First Aid and Infant/Child CPR cards, when needed and at the request of the supervisor.
• Food Worker’s Card within 30 calendar days of hire.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand for long periods of time; sit, including on the floor and small furniture; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers for fine manipulation and to operate a computer and telephone, and keyboard reach; and reach with hands and arms.
• Ability to ride the bus for entire route and to be mobile while bus is in motion.
• The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, squat, crouch or crawl.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close (due to computer work), distance and peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and the ability to observe the safety of the classroom.
• Light to moderate lifting is required. Ability to lift up to 45 pounds.
• Ability to uphold the stress of traveling.
• Regular, predictable attendance is required.
The work environment characteristics described are what is encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Moderate noise (i.e. classroom noise, children talking, yelling).
• Ability to work in a confined area.
• May be required to have the ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period.
• The employee is occasionally exposed to wet, snowy or hot outdoor weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Rural Resources Community Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.