Housing Rehabilitation Technician – Arden Warehouse
DIVISION: Energy Assistance, Weatherization, & Home Repairs
REPORTS TO: Weatherization Auditor / Manager
DATE OPEN: 08/30/2022
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
40 hours per week (Mon-Thurs), Wages $19.87 - 21.49 per hour
Performs carpentry-related duties including installation of attic/wall insulation, venting, doors,
windows, kitchen/bath fixtures and solid fuel appliances. Wraps water heaters/pipes, installs
exhaust fans, drywall, roofing and siding, glazes windows, paints and does light framing and
finish carpentry. Evaluates home’s indoor air quality and tightness to determine
weatherization needs and appropriate remedies. Operates power hand tools and insulating
machines. The position is responsible for the rehabilitation work on existing housing.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
- Carpentry related duties may include installation of doors and windows; insulating attic, walls, floors; installing appropriate venting; blower door testing and air sealing; wrapping water heaters and pipes; installing exhaust fans, drywall, window glazing and mobile home skirting; light framing; finish carpentry; roofing; siding; painting; foundations work; building ramps; kitchen and bath remodels; and installation of solid fuel appliances. Will operate four to five complex pieces of equipment including skill saws, drills and insulating machines.
- Advises, assists and trains new staff; reports progress to the Weatherization Supervisor. Conducts safety meetings and inspections.
- Observes all safety and health rules applicable to the area of assignment including the proper use of safety devices and personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Monitors jobs for proper installation and ensures client satisfaction; educates clients on energy conservation and weatherizing. Ensures all safety practices are adhered to and followed.
- Assists Weatherization Supervisor to prepare and maintain records such as audit sheet, work orders, vehicle maintenance records, client satisfaction sheet, evaluations, time sheet and safety meeting minutes.
- Performs manual loading/off-loading of materials and supplies; physical lifting of materials up to eighty pounds. Keeps all work areas clean, safe, and neat.
- Performs regular vehicle and equipment maintenance activities; conducts safety inspections; checks vehicles; schedules servicing and repairs as necessary.
- Ability to operate and interpret data from diagnostic tools for the evaluation of client’s homes for health and safety concerns; indoor air quality and air tightness. Ability to collect, analyze and apply electronic diagnostic data to the weatherization process.
- Attends training workshops, safety meetings, and staff meetings.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of weatherization procedures, installation specifications and the use and applications of weatherization diagnostic monitoring equipment.
- Knowledge of federal and state policies, procedures and regulations applicable to area or assignment.
- Knowledge of construction safety principles and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of job estimating and price costing of material and labor.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work independently with minimum supervision.
- Thorough knowledge in rough and finish-carpentry.
- Thorough knowledge in the use of construction and insulation tools and equipment, including safe handling and accident prevention.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions, policies and procedures, including all safety instructions and procedures.
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain manual inventory systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain manual record keeping systems including safety meeting minutes.
- Ability to operate 1-ton vans safely.
- Ability to recognize and solve problems related to home rehabilitation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and the general public using tact, courtesy and good judgment.
- Thorough knowledge of home inspection procedures, use of diagnostic equipment and a technical aptitude for the use of various electronic weatherization monitoring equipment.
Required Education or Experience
High school diploma or GED; four years general construction and repair experience including window, door and insulation installation;
Any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
Required Certifications & Licenses
Preferred Certifications & Licenses
- Valid Washington State driver’s license.
- Industrial First Aid certification or be able to obtain within 30 days of employment.
- Physical examination within three weeks of employment and annually thereafter.
- Acceptable completion of a criminal history background check.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Work is frequently performed in enclosed spaces, under mobile homes, in attics and crawlspaces and includes working with insulation and air sealing products. Staff are required to work in seasonal temperatures from 10°F – 100°F and are subjected to dirty, dusty, and occasionally unsanitary conditions. Activities require working on ladders, scaffolding, roofs, etc., and physically involve sitting, standing, climbing, crawling, squatting, kneeling, bending, stooping, twisting, turning, and laying on back. Ability to lift 80 pounds.
- Position may require the use of respiratory equipment, including facemasks. All respiratory equipment must be properly fitted to ensure effectiveness, health, and safety. Weatherization workers may be required to remove facial hair to accomplish this.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Denotes Essential Functions
Equal Opportunity Employer
Rural Resources Community Action provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.